Make a Runner or Pillow with this Appliqued Snowman Design
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 60
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 7g
Saturated Fat 1g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrates 704g
Dietary Fiber 144g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
What You Need
- Enlarge Image
- Wool felt: 11/4 yards of blue, 1/2 yard of white, 3x3-inch piece of dark orange, 10x13-inch piece of brown, 6x8-inch piece of black, 10x13-inch piece of moss green, 5x12-inch piece of dark green, 8x10-inch piece of purple, 4x5-inch piece of bright red, 2x8-inch piece of dark red, and 1x2-inch piece of gold
- Freezer paper
- Tracing paper
- Water-soluble marking pen
- 4-millimeter black faceted beads: 3 for cardinal eyes
- 15 buttons
- Embroidery floss: 1 skein to match each wool felt color
- Polyester fiberfill
How to Make It
- Enlarge Image
- Cut the wool felt by positioning the freezer paper, shiny side down, over the patterns. Trace the individual pieces the number of times indicated within the patterns. Cut out the shapes on the traced lines.
- Using an iron, press a freezer-paper shape, shiny side down, onto the front of the appropriate-color felt; let cool. Cut out the shapes along the pattern edges. Peel off the freezer paper.
- Cut a 17x52-inch rectangle of blue felt for the runner. Cut two 21/2x17-inch rectangles of white felt for the runner fringe.
- Cut two 15-inch squares of blue felt for the pillow.
- Trace the eye placement and smile line for the snowman faces onto tracing paper. Tape the traced pattern to a sunny window or light box. Center a snowman face over the pattern and tape in place.
- Trace the pattern onto the wool felt with the marking pen. Repeat as needed for all snowman faces and bodies.
- Sew the snowman eyes and body buttons in place. Using three strands of black floss, backstitch the smile. Note: Use three strands of floss for all stitching. Using the photo as a guide, blanket-stitch the carrot nose in place. Pin and blanket-stitch the cardinal cutouts to the snowman's tummy. Attach a bead for each cardinal's eye.
- Applique the snowmen. Using the photo as a guide, pin all cutouts in place, tucking the dark sections of the scarves underneath the light
- Using the appropriate floss color, blanket-stitch around the perimeter of each snowman, scarf pieces, hat crown, and hat brim. Attach twigs for arms with brown running stitches and the hatbands with moss green running stitches. Attach the snowflakes with one diagonal straight stitch, tying it off on the back of the runner.
- Finish the Runner
- Pin a long edge of each white felt fringe strip to each end of the runner, overlapping by 1/4 inch. Blanket-stitch in place. Cut 2-inch-long slashes into the strips at 1/4-inch intervals.
- Finish the Pillow
- Pin the pillow squares together with the wrong sides together. Using a small zigzag stitch, machine-sew the front to the back, leaving a 5-inch opening along one edge for stuffing. Stuff the pillow with fiberfill and sew the opening closed.
Crafter's Holiday Cottage http://craftersholidaycottage.com/