Upside Down Pineapple cake with Applesauce
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 597
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 68g
Saturated Fat 14g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 23g
Monounsaturated Fat 27g
Total Carbohydrates 493g
Dietary Fiber 8g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 tablespoon light whipped butter or light buttery spread
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (not packed)
- 1/2 of an 18.25-ounce box (about 1 1/2 cups) moist-style yellow cake mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup club soda
- 1/4 cup no-sugar-added applesauce
- 7 pineapple rings packed in juice, drained
- 7 maraschino cherries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a round cake pan with nonstick spray (butter flavored, if available) and set it aside.
- To make the glaze: Put butter in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave for about 15 seconds, just until melted. Add brown sugar and mix well. Set aside.
- To make the cake: Combine cake mix with baking powder in a large bowl. Mix well with a hand mixer. Add club soda and applesauce, and stir until smooth. Set aside.
- Spread glaze evenly along the bottom of the cake pan. Blot pineapple rings and cherries with paper towels to remove any excess moisture. Lay the pineapple rings in an even layer in the cake pan, and place one cherry in the center of each pineapple ring.
- Evenly pour the batter into the cake pan over the fruit layer. Bake in the oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool for 15 to 20 minutes, until just slightly warm. Firmly and securely place a large plate over the pan, and carefully flip so the plate is on the bottom. Gently lift the pan to release the cake. If you have trouble releasing it, pop it in the oven for a few minutes.
- Cut into 8 slices and dig in!
Crafter's Holiday Cottage http://craftersholidaycottage.com/